Saturday, December 4, 2010

A Sad, Sad Day


From the moment we got married, Eric was begging me to let him get a dog. He was always sending me links to pictures of cute dogs that were for sell. After much, much convincing, I gave in. It's not that I don't like animals, I do. I LOVE them. I wanted to be a veterinarian for the longest time, but eventually decided I didn't have the heart for it. I would probably have cried every time a hurt animal came in or died. Anyway, I gave in and went to look at a dog with Eric. I fell in love with the cutest litter of Maltese/Shih Tzu puppies. We picked out a cute little black one and took him home. We named him Jack. The next day we decided he needed a friend and went back to get his brother. We named him Luke. They became our children. I love them so much.

While we were in Utah for Thanksgiving, we made one of the hardest decisions I have ever had to make and decided to give our cute dogs to another family. We had been feeling bad for them ever since we moved. They don't have a yard to run around in (our pool takes up the whole backyard) and we don't have as much time to devote to them now that we have two children. Our pro/con list went on and on and after many prayers and tears we decided that they would be better off somewhere else. It has been a week and a half since we gave them up and I miss them every day, but I know it was the right decision. They have a huge farm yard to play in and three kids to keep them busy.

Sometimes I still expect them to come running when I open a door or drop a piece of food on the floor. If I get up during the night, I walk around the spot where their bed used to be because I think it is still there. I miss their cute faces. I miss the cute way Luke would cock his head to look at me when I talked to him. I miss Jack's snuggles. I miss the way they would vacuum the floor for me and bark when the UPS lady drops off packages (she doesn't knock or ring so I would only know because of them). There are so many things about them that I will miss, but I want them to be happy and I'm sure they are.

3 comments:

  1. What? You didn't tell me that! I'm so sorry! Even though we don't have a dog, I know how hard it is to say goodbye to a pet. They are definitely cute dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awe that is sooo sad! Those dogs were adorable. A hard decision I am sure.... sending positive thoughts your way!!

    ReplyDelete