Thursday, December 31, 2009

Christmas Mishap

Kyler got a new bike for Christmas and he absolutely loves it! He has been riding it around my parent's house ever since he opened it. He loads it up with toys and other items and off he goes. The day after Christmas my mom, sister, and I were sitting in the kitchen while Eric and my dad were watching a movie in the family room. Kyler was on his bike, of course. All of the sudden there was quite a loud noise and I looked up in time to see the bike going down the stairs. I thought Kyler had pushed it down, but when I looked to the top of the stairs and he wasn't there, I knew he must have been on the bike. I ran as fast as I could to rescue my poor little guy (and even as a big pregnant lady I beat the rest of the family to the bottom of the stairs. Eric says I pushed him out of the way, but I don't remember that). He had a bit of a bloody nose, but everything else seemed okay. Then 30 seconds later his nose was noticeably swollen and it just kept getting bigger. We rushed him to my cousin's house (she is a nurse at Primary Children's Hospital) and made the decision to keep ice on it and see what it looked like the next morning. The swelling went down, but the bruise sure is nice. How does a child, within 20 feet of five adults, ride his bike down the stairs. I promise I am not a neglectful mom. It all just happened so fast. Now the gate remains up when Kyler is on his bike. Here are some pictures.

Before...




After...

7 comments:

  1. Ouch! Poor Kyler! Hope he feels better soon. I don't think you're neglectful at all--kids just find a way.

    P.S. I just saw you have less than 7 weeks of pregnancy left. Holy Cow! That seems soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rebecca did the stairs in a walker and ended up with a broken collar bone.


    Those little ones sure are fast :)


    (Nice bike!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor Kyler and poor Mommy! Kids get into trouble so fast, it's crazy! Hope his face is getting better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, poor kid! That's a cool looking bike. Love the back storage.
    Kyler is pretty brave to take it down the stairs -- just wait till he has a car!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a great looking bruise! I think it looked more colorful in person. Love ya, Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those pictures don't quite do it justice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poor little guy!!! He's still so cute! Hope to see you again soon!:)

    ReplyDelete